The Newton Public Library has another great summer planned for children and teens this summer. The theme of this summer is “Building a Better World” – from building blocks to community service projects! All children and teens who bring canned goods for the local food pantry to the kickoff picnic will be entered into a drawing for great prizes! The kickoff picnic will be held on June 1st from 4 to 7 p.m., with a free hot dog picnic on the library lawn, and registration opening for summer programs.
Kids (ages 12 & under) who participate in the Summer Reading Program will receive prizes such as coupons for free items at Culver’s and McDonald’s, one free child’s admission to the Blank Park Zoo, and two tickets to an Iowa Cubs Home Run Reader game. Children and their families who complete the program can also attend our end of the summer free pool party at Maytag Pool on July 28th from 7 to 9 p.m., with free pizza for kids donated by Domino’s!
The Teen Summer Reading Program will include several craft programs and all teens who register for the program will receive a USB car charger, and will be entered into a drawing for a Kindle Fire when they complete the program. Watch the library’s website for more details!
Baby storytime, toddler storytime and preschool storytime also meet throughout the summer, but the schedule varies due to special programming. Storytime schedules for summer will be available in May.
Here are a few of the special events the Newton Public Library has planned:
- June 1, 4 to 7 p.m. Kickoff Picnic on the Library lawn. First day to register for programs
- Fridays in June and July at 1:00 p.m. Movies in the Library meeting room
- June 8, 10:30 a.m. Science Center of Iowa, educational program for ages 5 – 12
- June 9, 10:30 a.m. Story by Sir Rust-o-Lot, part of Newton Fest celebration
- June 13, 6 p.m. Absolute Science, for ages 5 – 12, amazing mind-blowing science!
- June 20, 1 p.m. Hanson Family Jugglers, all ages
- June 22, 6 p.m. Ben’s Bubble Show, for ages 3 – 12, amazing science of bubbles presented by expert Ben Jimenez
- June 27, 10 a.m. to Noon, Iowa State Insect Zoo Open House in the library meeting room, all ages
- July 10, 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Pirate Party Story-time for ages 3 to 9
- July 11, 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Fancy Nancy Tea Party for ages 3 to 9
- July 21, 10:30 a.m. Mad Science, for ages 5 -12
- July 24, 10:30 a.m. Blank Park Zoo, Show & Tell animal visitors on the Library lawn, all ages